If you’re interested in participating in animal assisted wellness services with PAWS of CNY, but your dog needs some basic training assistance, our therapy dog training classes will focus on mastering the skills that both you as a handler and your dog will need in order to pass the PAWS of CNY therapy dog certification test.
Classes are taught by a certified professional dog trainer. The five-week course will cover the following content:
- Handler control – Leash work and manners required for a successful visit.
- Obedience with distractions – Basic obedience, focus, and leash exercises with and without distractions.
- Stress management and handling approaches – Handling and crowding by strangers.
- Medical equipment – Exposure to equipment such as walkers and wheelchairs.
- Visit simulation – A simulation of a typical PAWS of CNY visit to a nursing facility. We will teach you cues to help with the visit as well as to prepare you for the PAWS of CNY Therapy Dog Evaluation process.
Class Prerequisite: Before joining class, your dog must know his name, as well as how to sit on command. A prior basic obedience or manners class is highly recommended.
* Please note that this class does not take the place of a therapy dog evaluation. Upon completion of the class (or earlier, if you prefer) you will need to submit an application to PAWS of CNY if you would like to have your dog evaluated for certification through our organization.
** PAWS of CNY is a therapy dog organization, NOT a service dog organization. Therapy dogs are trained and brought by their handlers to visit folks in facilities such as nursing homes, hospitals, schools, etc.